Dog Treat Recipes
Thanksgiving Dog Treats: DIY Apple Pumpkin Pie Chew Sticks
Say thankyou to your furry friend this Thanksgiving with these yummy (and easy!) DIY treats.
Copy: Sarah Dickerson
Photography: Sarah Dickerson
Pet lifestyle expert Serena Faber-Nelson is the founder of Pretty Fluffy. A contributor to Everyday with Rachael Ray, Modern Dog Magazine, Cesars Way and more; her modern, stylized take on DIY dog treats has seen her recipes viewed millions of times over.
Serena is the author of the go-to dog mom bible, Dog Mama, and the popular dog treat recipe book, Healthy Homemade Dog Treats.
Don’t let your dog feel left out this Thanksgiving holiday! These 3 ingredient chew sticks are the perfect treat/toy for your pup to enjoy. The ingredients can’t get any healthier (or simpler!). Plus your house is going to smell like yummy pie while they are dehydrating in the oven. What is better than that?
I have seen pumpkin ‘jerky’ treats or ‘fruit leather’ made before, but combining applesauce, pumpkin AND cinnamon together just screams holiday party. The extra step of spiraling them makes it look like you put in so much time and effort, when really the oven did 99% of the work for you. It’s okay, you can still take all the credit and glory! Your dog is going to LOVE these.
Get the simple recipe below and enjoy your Thanksgiving, Pretty Fluffies!
1 Cup Pure Organic Applesauce
1 Cup Pure Organic Pumpkin Puree (Not pumpkin pie puree!)
1/2 Tbsp Organic Cinnamon
• Preheat your oven to 175ºF/79ºC.
• In a medium size bowl, add all ingredients and give it a good stir to combine.
• Line your baking sheet with parchment paper, and with a spoon, smear out long lines of the batter. The thicker you make them, the longer they will take to dehydrate. Mine were about the thickness of 3 stacked quarters.
• Place in oven and dehydrate/bake for 6-7 hours. Each oven varies, so I suggest checking on them every hour or so. You want them to be firm and not sticky, but not so hard they break apart easily.
• Once out of the oven and cooled just slightly so they are still warm to the touch, check to make sure they are flexible but not sticky. Cut your strips down to your desired length with scissors. Then, with a simple twisting motion mold them into spirals, and what you are left with are awesome little chewy sticks for your dog. It’s that easy!
WANT MORE HOMEMADE HEALTHY DOG TREAT RECIPES?
Check out our eBook 52 Weeks of Treats – Simple & Healthy Dog Treat Recipes for Every Season.
Now in it’s 2nd edition, 52 Weeks of Treats has over 30 healthy DIY dog treat recipes – including everything from summer ‘Blueberry Pupsicles’ to hearty winter ‘Beef Bites’.
With a handy allergies guide, quick references for grain and dairy free recipes AND a whole section just for special occasions (Doggie Birthday Cake anyone?) 52 Weeks of Treats is the ultimate dog treat recipe book.
Pretty Fluffy is the ultimate lifestyle destination for dog lovers. Thank you for being part of our dog-loving community!
Pretty Fluffy is the ultimate lifestyle destination for dog lovers.
Thank you for being part of our dog-loving community!
Pick of the Week
It's the pawfect treat for your pooch that even has their name on it.