DIY & Recipes
Oven-Baked Homemade Liver Dog Treats Recipe
The perfect training treat, or just because!
Katy and Shell are two style-savvy dog mums celebrating the best in pet-friendly living. A professional pet photographer and dog lifestyle writer, together they share dog-friendly inspiration, pet product reviews, dog treat recipes, expert pet advice and on-trend dog brands with discerning pet parents around the world.
You’ve been warned: this homemade liver dog treats recipe won’t leave your kitchen smelling too great!
BUT….hear us out.
Not only are baked liver treats for dogs an absolute hit with every pup, they’re also rich in nutrients and protein – making them a super healthy snack too.
Homemade liver treats can be made using a dehydrator or oven. For this recipe, we’ll be using the oven as we don’t have a dehydrator (and we guessed many of you wouldn’t either!)
The key to properly oven-baking liver dog treats? Drying them out properly using a slow cook time.
Just pop them in and let the oven do its thing. You’ll then be rewarded with crunchy, tasty morsels of goodness your pup will absolutely love you for!
Let’s get baking, shall we?
How to Make Oven-Baked Homemade Liver Dog Treats
Not used to cooking with liver? Don’t worry, neither were we!
If the ick-factor means you need a little more convincing, take a quick look at all the benefits:
- Liver treats are packed with iron, copper, phosphorus, zinc and essential fatty acids, as well as vitamin A (aids digestion and is a powerful antioxidant) and B vitamins (boosts metabolism and prevents anemia)
- Liver is so budget-friendly and very cheap to buy from your local butcher or supermarket
- Homemade liver treats are the best training treats for dogs – the strong scent and flavour is excellent for holding their attention
- These liver treats are so easy to make – minimal ingredients and fuss, but with high rewards!
Ingredients & Utensils:
- Beef liver (support local by visiting your nearest market or neighbourhood butcher!)
- Baking paper
- Oven tray
Homemade Liver Dog Treats Recipe:
- Pre-heat your oven to a low heat setting. Our oven was set to around 100ºC/212ºF.
- Rinse the liver, then dry well with paper towel.
- Cover oven tray with baking paper (two trays may be needed depending on liver size)
- Using a sharp knife, chop the liver into thin slices (the thinner the slice, the crispier it will be)
- Place liver slices onto the tray, being careful not to let any pieces overlap.
- Bake in the oven on the lowest heat setting for 4.5 – 7 hours, depending on how crispy you want them (our batch was baked for 4.5 hours, which left them a bit crunchy and a bit chewy too – Ziggy loved it!)
- Be sure to turn every 2 hours to cook evenly.
- Leave to cool in the oven.
Don’t forget to pop them in a treats pouch to keep your pockets smelling fresh!
How to store homemade liver dog treats?
As a general guide, oven-baked liver dog treats will last around 3 to 5 days stored in the refrigerator or a cool, dry place. We recommend using an air-tight container.
You can also freeze your treats so they last much longer – up to six months in fact!
** The above recipe is for treats only and should not replace your dog’s regular meal plans. Always check with your vet about any major changes to your dog’s diet.
Want more easy & delicious homemade dog treat recipes?
Get access to 60+ simple, tasty and healthy dog treat recipes to spoil your pup!
Download this eBook bundle and save on two popular dog treat eBooks: 52 Weeks of Treats – Simple & Healthy Dog Treat Recipes for Every Season and Frozen: 30 Fresh & Fruity Dog Treat Recipes Your Pup Will Love!
With a whole section just for special occasions (doggie birthday cake anyone?) a handy allergies guide, ingredient benefit glossary and more, you’ll become the best doggie chef in no time.
Pretty Fluffy is the ultimate lifestyle destination for dog lovers. Thank you for being part of our dog-loving community!
Pretty Fluffy is the ultimate lifestyle destination for dog lovers.
Thank you for being part of our dog-loving community!