Dog Treat Recipes
Sweet & Spooky No Bake Halloween Pumpkin Treat Recipe for Dogs (with Printable Toppers!)
Get the Halloween pawty started with this fun, simple and tasty no bake pumpkin dog treat recipe - perfect for spooky celebrations!
Copy: Katy & Shell
Photography: Katy & Shell
Katy and Shell are two style-savvy dog mums who celebrate the best in pet-friendly living. A professional pet photographer and dog lifestyle writer, together they bring dog-friendly inspiration, pet product recommendations, dog treat recipes, pet expert advice and the best in emerging and designer dog brands into the homes of discerning pet parents around the world.
With Halloween just around the corner, it’s time to get your pawty food prepped. And here’s something you and your pup are going to die for: our terrifyingly tasty no-bake Halloween pumpkin treat recipe for dogs!
Fun, nutritious and frightfully delicious, these Halloween treats for dogs are everyone’s favourite kind – the no bake kind! (Check out one of our most popular ever recipes, No Bake Coconut Dog Treats if quick and easy no-bake dog treat recipes are your go-to).
Now we’re not sure about you, but we are huge pumpkin fans in this house…it’s one of the reasons we love Halloween so much! So, you can bet we’ll be obsessed with anything that combines puppies and pumpkins. Really, is there a better duo?
In fact, this recipe was inspired by this Pumpkin Halloween Dog Treat Recipe + Free Printable from a few years back. Think of this latest pumpkin dog treats recipe as the sweeter, spookier no-bake version of the original!
Which ingredients make this Halloween dog treats recipe ‘sweet’?
First things first. By sweet we mean, naturally sweet. No yucky additives or preservatives here!
We’re talking pumpkin, carrot, dates and cinnamon: nutritious, sweetly flavored ingredients that each offer health benefits to your pooch (see the full list below). Like all of our healthy dog treat recipes, the ingredients below all serve a purpose for your pup’s health.
How are these pumpkin dog treats recipe ‘spooky’?
That’s where our free printable Halloween cupcake toppers come in!
Yes, we’ve created a spook-tacular set of Halloween toppers you can easily print out and place on top of your freshly made no bake pumpkin dog treats.
Mix them or match them, or even re-use them for all kinds of Halloween treats – whether for your furry friend, kids, neighbours, trick-or-treaters – you name it!
Not only are these no bake pumpkin dog treats a tasty Halloween snack for your pup, they make a fun and festive gift for all your dog-loving friends. And these super cute Halloween dog treat gift bags will certainly come in handy too!
Ready to get in the spooky spirit with your pup this year? Try our no bake Halloween pumpkin treat recipe for dogs below and let us know what you think!
Sweet & Spooky No Bake Halloween Pumpkin Treat Recipe for Dogs
- 6 Mejdool dates
- 3/4 cup of pumpkin puree (canned or freshly pureed)
- 1 1/2 cup almond meal
- 2 x carrots
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp turmeric (plus extra for sprinkles)
HEALTH BENEFITS FOR DOGS:
Pumpkin: A superfood for senior dogs especially. Contains essential micronutrients and fibre, A, C, and E vitamins, plus minerals such as iron and potassium.
Carrots: Another dog superfood! Rich in vitamin A, potassium and soluble fibre.
Mejdool dates: Contain vitamins A, C, and B vitamins. Also a good source of fibre, iron, calcium, protein, magnesium and potassium.
Cinnamon: Regulates blood sugar and improves brain function. Can support dogs with arthritis.
Turmeric: Powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory.
OPTIONAL SPOOKY TOPPINGS:
- Crushed dehydrated liver treats for black sprinkles
- Turmeric powder
THINGS YOU’LL NEED:
- Free Halloween printable toppers – download below!
- A4 sheet of white card
- If you’re pureeing your own pumpkin, peel and dice pumpkin into cubes and steam over a saucepan of boiling water for 30-40 minutes. Allow to cool. Puree in blender or food processor (or mash yourself). Chill in refrigerator.
- Soften dates for 20 minutes in warm water.
- While the dates are softening and pumpkin puree is cooling, print your A4 Halloween printable toppers. Cut out each design, then attach a toothpick or small skewer to the back of the image, set aside.
- Dry dates with paper towel, then add to the food processor with pumpkin puree and blend.
- Grate the carrots, then add to the dates and pumpkin mix, and blend until smooth.
- Pour blended carrot, date and pumpkin mix into a mixing bowl.
- Add all dried ingredients and mix until combined. This should form a thick paste, that should easily roll into balls. If your pumpkin puree is a little runny, just add more almond meal to get a thicker consistency.
- Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes (while the pups help clean up in the kitchen!)
- Place the liver treats in a freezer bag, then seal it. Crush with a rolling pin or pestle and mortar to create the black sprinkles.
- Remove mixture from the fridge and roll into balls. If the mixture is still a bit sticky, add some almond meal to your hands when rolling.
- Place pumpkin dog treats on a serving dish, then sprinkle with the crushed dried liver treats and turmeric powder for a little extra Halloween magic!
Free Download: Halloween Cupcake Toppers
Click here to download>> Free Halloween Printable Toppers
Note: Printables are provided FREE of charge and are for personal use only. Please credit us when sharing. Enjoy!
Need inspiration for your pup’s Halloween dog costume?
Prefer easy store-bought ideas? You might like these Halloween dog costumes and toys.
Remember, when it comes to celebrating Halloween with your dog – ‘tis the season to go EXTRA!
Check out our eBook 52 Weeks of Treats – Simple & Healthy Dog Treat Recipes for Every Season.
Now in it’s 2nd edition, 52 Weeks of Treats has over 30 healthy DIY dog treat recipes – including everything from summer ‘Blueberry Pupsicles’ to hearty winter ‘Beef Bites’.
With a handy allergies guide, quick references for grain and dairy free recipes AND a whole section just for special occasions (Doggie Birthday Cake anyone?) 52 Weeks of Treats is the ultimate dog treat recipe book.
Pretty Fluffy is the ultimate lifestyle destination for dog lovers. Thank you for being part of our dog-loving community!
Pretty Fluffy is the ultimate lifestyle destination for dog lovers.
Thank you for being part of our dog-loving community!
Copy: Katy & Shell
Photography: Katy & Shell