Easy DIY Easter Eggs For Dogs
An easy, healthy and delicious recipe for dog friendly Easter Eggs! Nom nom.
Pet lifestyle expert Serena Faber-Nelson is the founder of Pretty Fluffy. A contributor to Everyday with Rachael Ray, Modern Dog Magazine, Cesars Way and more; her modern, stylized take on DIY dog treats has seen her recipes viewed millions of times over.
Serena is the author of the go-to dog mom bible, Dog Mama, and the popular dog treat recipe book, Healthy Homemade Dog Treats.
These ‘chocolate’ DIY Easter eggs for dogs are oh-so yum and easy – and perfect for your very own dog Easter egg hunt!
I can almost hear you asking, “but are these Easter eggs even safe for dogs…?”
The simple answer? While human chocolate is an absolute no-no for dogs…dog-friendly carob chocolate is 100% safe for your pup.
And it tastes similar to chocolate too!
Carob is the best dog-safe chocolate substitute there is. It’s non-toxic, chocolate-y goodness that has proven pup-ular time and time again.
That’s why we’re sharing this delicious Easter dog treat recipe – featuring carob chocolate – and designed exclusively for pooches.
All you need is your dog treat mould, a stove top to melt your carob drops, and a fridge to set the eggs in.
Could it be any easier? We think not. And that’s exactly how we love to roll around here…
Let’s hop to the recipe!
RELATED: Bunny Face Easter Cookies for Dogs
Easy Easter Eggs For Dogs Recipe
You will need:
- Mini Egg Mould – (check out these Mini Egg Molds on Amazon)
- Mixing bowl, small saucepan, teaspoon and small butter knife.
- Your choice of yoghurt or carob chocolate drops (see where to buy carob below!)
- Melt the yoghurt or carob drops in a bowl over very low heat.
- Using a teaspoon, fill each cavity with the melted yoghurt or carob drops.
- Gently tap the mould on the bench surface to spread and fill the cavity evenly. If you’ve overfilled the cavities, use the flat edge of a knife to scrape the excess back into the bowl.
- Refrigerate until set (approx. 20 mins). When set, the egg halves should easily slide out of the mould. Set aside.
- Repeat steps 1-3. Place a solid egg half on top of each cavity so when set, the two halves will be joined.
- Refrigerate until set. Gently remove the solid eggs from the mould.
- Makes approximately 10 eggs depending on your mould size.
*Optional: Wrap your fabulous new Easter Eggs in decorative foil for pretty presentation! Just make sure you unwrap each egg before feeding to your pooch.
** The above recipe is for treats only and should not replace your dog’s regular meal plans. Always check with your vet about any major changes to your dog’s diet.
Where to buy carob for dogs?
The easiest way to purchase carob treats for your dog is through an online stockist, or visiting your local pet supplies store.
Here in Australia, many pet stores sell packets of pre-made carob drops.
Online Australian stockists include:
Online stockist in U.S.A:
While perfectly safe for your pup to enjoy, we strongly recommend you read the label of any store-bought carob dog treats. Unfortunately some carob treats for dogs contain sugar and other additives, so always check the label before purchasing.
We recently bought 100% natural carob powder from our local health food store, and you can also purchase it here on Amazon.
FIND MORE CAROB DOG TREAT RECIPES:
Check out our collection of carob dog treat recipes – all delicious and simple to make:
- DIY Easter Dog Biscuits
- Carob Pupcakes Dog Treat Recipe
- Peanut Butter & Carob Dog Treats Recipe
- Dog-Friendly Chocolate Bark
We hope you and your pup love them as much as we do!
Want more homemade healthy dog treat recipes?
Check out our eBook 52 Weeks of Treats – Simple & Healthy Dog Treat Recipes for Every Season.
Now in it’s 2nd edition, 52 Weeks of Treats has over 30 healthy DIY dog treat recipes – including everything from summer ‘Blueberry Pupsicles’ to hearty winter ‘Beef Bites’.
With a handy allergies guide, quick references for grain and dairy free recipes AND a whole section just for special occasions (Doggie Birthday Cake anyone?) 52 Weeks of Treats is the ultimate dog treat recipe book.
Pretty Fluffy is the ultimate lifestyle destination for dog lovers. Thank you for being part of our dog-loving community!
Pretty Fluffy is the ultimate lifestyle destination for dog lovers.
Thank you for being part of our dog-loving community!